Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck involves removing the excess skin and fat from the stomach and tightening of the abdominal wall. Sometimes, no amount of exercising or weight control regime will give you that flat and well-toned abdomen. It is the last resort if all the other techniques fail. However, it is not a weight loss alternative.
Even if you have a normal body weight and proportion, one can develop a flabby, sagging and protruding stomach. Some of the common causes include:
- Previous abdomen surgeries e.g. C-Section, gastric bypass
- Inherited genetic factors
- Excessive Weight loss
Ideal Candidate for the Tummy Tuck
- A tummy tuck is a major surgery. The procedure is ideal for:
- Healthy men and women
- Previously pregnant women who need abdominal tightening
- Previously obese men/women with loose fat skins or excess fat deposits around the abdomen
You should consider consulting a doctor if you are considering a tummy tuck surgery and fit in any of the categories below:
- Women planning to get pregnant as future pregnancies will separate the tightened muscles
- If you are planning to lose a lot of weight
Types of tummy tucks
- The surgeon will mention several abdominoplasty options available and help patients make a decision. They include:
- Traditional tummy tuck
- Mini tummy tucks
- Endoscopic tummy tuck
- Extended tummy tucks
Medical and Aesthetic Benefits of the Tummy Tuck
- Help reduce stress urinary incontinence:
Women may develop SUI problems after a vaginal birth. They have uncontrollable leakage and bladder control problems that are brought by laughing, sneezing, or coughing.
- Improve the abdominal tone and better posture
Extreme weight loss and multiple pregnancies cause the stomach muscles to be discontent. The procedure is ideal when exercise and diet fail. People with weak abdominal muscles have noticed improved posture after the surgery, thanks to tightened muscles that support the spine.
- Correcting the ventral hernia
A ventral hernia puts pressure on the skin and causes weakened abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck prevents future occurrences.
What to Expect During the Procedure
The surgeon will use general or local anesthesia. The procedure takes hours depending on the procedure.
- Creating incisions
The length and number of incisions depend on the specifics of the surgery. The surgeon will work to ensure the scars as less visible and easily hidden.
- Naval reattachment and sculpting
The position of the naval may change to tighten the skin and give the stomach a natural appearance.
- Muscle tightening and skin removal
The surgeon will tighten the sagging muscle mass and remove excess fat and skin.
- Closing the incision
Once the surgery is complete, the surgeon will suture the skin in place. The wound will heal naturally over time. The doctor will advise on tips for speedy and healthy recovery.
The procedure has become popular in the recent past. Despite appearing easy, it is a surgical procedure with potential benefits and for more info please consult with Dr. Abrams. Dr. Ruben Abrams is a professional cosmetic surgeon in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills area who puts the needs of his patients’ first. Contact us today for the best medical attention!